The plane has had two taxi tests. I posted about that already, but I left out some of the gritty details.
The Tailwheel: I have been worried about the tailwheel for several years. Scott had to reuild it once on our way to Burningman and there have been a couple more instances of concern with the old tailwheel. I did research, but could not come up with much using the original stinger. Then came Ephraim! He solved the issue in just a few days by working with the designer of the T3 tailwheel. He was able to modify it for my plane using the original and modified stinger. So cool!
The tailwheel put on by Ray was sub-par. Not only that, but the stinger was installed with the bend going the wrong direction. Who knows what issues that would have caused in the future. This just underscores that Ray’s shop is incompetent on top of their shady business practices.
The new tailwheel is a great match for the landing gear! It’s also installed at the correct angle, with the correct bend, and will be beefy and ready for the fun places CM is going this summer and beyond.
The Rudder Pedals:
Inside the plane, as soon as I put my feet on the rudder pedals, something felt “off”. Ephraim was in the passnger seat, and since he had never been in the plane with me before, didn’t realize the rudder pedal issue. When we taxied the first day, I kept saying that the rudder pedals didn’t feel right. The brakes were funky and turning one direction was just not possible. Of course, this is why taxi tests are necessary, and Ephraim said he would get to the root of the problem.
What he discovered came to me in a text “Rebuilt the rudder pedal system per the manual. It was not even close to being correct”. What????!!!! So Ray had put together the rudder pedals completely incorrectly. OMG. Thank goodness I got my plane out of there! I am still trying to figure out how to warn others about him. At first, it was just his overcharging and holding me hostage. Now, it’s a safety issue and much more serious…..but more on that later.
Taxi Test number two had the rudder pedals in the correct place and WOW what a difference. They moved freely, the brakes worked great, and boy am I dying to fly!!
There are a few other items Ephraim has found that were incorrect such as bolts that were the wrong size, belts that didn’t fit, and more. Ugh. So hard to pay so much for such shoddy work. I shudder thinking of flying the plane without the close eye of Ephraim. It could have ended very badly.
Yet to go:
What’s left is finishing up the annual. The compression is low on cylinder #2 and #4. I am hoping that’s just because it has been sitting. Ephraim found two cracks in the fuselage where the flaps connect. The floor under the rudder pedals needed some beefing up as well. Those fixes shouldn’t be too daunting. The transponder antanae broke off and a new one is on the way. The weight and balance is still to come. We need to wait until all is back together. I can’t wait to see what CM weighs after all of this work. We are so close! I hope to get to fly next week.
I’m so lucky to have found Ephraim. Charlie Mike will be (is) a MUCH better airplane because of him. I owe a debt of gratitude for the Facebook group Flights Above the Pacific Northwest, Justin and Faisel who all led me to Ephraim’s doorstep. He’s a man of details who does great work. I am so lucky he had time for us!
One thought on “Some Details”
Sounds like things are working in the right direction! The new tail wheel looks great and beefy. I know you will be flying soon. Things always seem to work out for the best.
LikeLiked by 1 person